2012 Bagged Leaf Collection has ended.
Yard Waste & Recycling Center Saturday Hours resume in late March on a date TBA.
2013 bagged Leaf Collection Begins October 21st
Property owners still in need of leaf disposal may utilize the Recycling Center during normal hours.
- Center use requires an annual permit or Day Pass.
- Please see Center web page for details and hours of operation.
Every fall the Town of West Hartford offers residential properties a bagged leaf collection program which runs for 10 weeks, weather permitting. Traditionally collection begins in October on the Monday after Columbus Day. Each week on your regular refuse collection day crews will collect only leaves bagged in 30 gallon biodegradable paper bags placed at the curb. Below is a general list of guidelines covering our collection program.
Which properties are eligible for bagged leaf collection.
• Only properties receiving West Hartford trash collection.
Presenting bagged leaves for collection
• Leaves can only be placed in 30 gallon biodegradable paper bags. Plastic or other paper type bags will not be collected.
• As you bag your leaves place them at the curb even if it is in advance of your scheduled collection day. Crews will advance into other collection areas once they have completed their day’s assignment.
• Bags must be free of branches , sticks , rocks, dirt , grass and other debris and weigh less than 60 pounds or they will be marked for rejection and not collected.
• Leaves are a state mandate recycling item and can not be placed in your refuse or recycling barrels. Barrels containing leaves will not be collected.
Collection of Bags
• Each residential property will receive 10 weekly collections on their regular scheduled refuse collection day, or as close to their day as possible.
• Bags should be placed at the curb no later than 6 AM on your scheduled collection day. Bags can be placed at the curb at any time in advance.
• There is no limit to the number of bags a resident can place at the curb.
• Most collection areas are completed on the day they are scheduled.
• If an area is not completed on the schedule day of collection crews will complete the area the following day.
• Collection will only be canceled or postponed due to severe weather conditions or events.
• The most common postponement will be due to accumulating snow.
Reasons for Skipped or missed collection
• Bags not placed at the curb by 6 AM or at the time of collection.
• Parked vehicles in front of bags.
• Bags contain unacceptable material listed above.
• Leaves placed in plastic or non conforming paper bags.
Alternatives to bagging leaves.
• Residents are encouraged compost their leaves on their property. Leaf compost provides a rich soil amendment to gardens and flower beds.
• Leaves can also be mulched into your lawn with a mulching mower. Leaves mulched into your lawn provide a good source of nitrogen for spring growth.
• Contract the services of a private landscaper to remove their leaves.
• Deliver your leaves free of charge to the town recycling center at 17 Brixton Street during normal hours of operation.
Can my landscaper dispose of my leaves at the Recycling Center Free of Charge?
• Yes, Public Works has Residential Leaf Voucher Disposal program .
2012 Residential Leaf Voucher Program
This year’s program runs from October 15th through December 22rd .
No vouchers will be accepted before or after the scheduled collection dates.
The program’s intent is to provide residents with free disposal of their leaves when they are delivered to the Town’s Recycling Center by their private contractor. The Town of West Hartford will pay a discounted $ 27.00 per ton price for leaves disposed under the voucher system. It is in your best interest as a resident and taxpayer to ensure that your contractor uses these vouchers for leaves generated at West Hartford residential properties only. Town of West Hartford and EnviroCycle staff will do random checks to confirm origination of leaf vouchers and dumping fee savings to residents.
Leaf Disposal Voucher form
Residents info and guidelines
• Vouchers allow your contractor to dump leaves, generated from your residential property only, free of charge.
• Residents may use as many vouchers as needed during the 10-week collection period to dispose of their leaves.
• Normal contractor disposal fee of $54.00 per ton is waived with a residential voucher.
• A staff member from the Town of West Hartford or the Recycling Center may contact you to verify the information.
• Resident’s using vouchers should only be charged, for the cost of transporting their leaves for disposal and associated labor charges by their contractor.
• Contractor’s or Resident’s violating the intended use of these vouchers will have their privileges revoked.
To ensure that only leaves collected from your property are disposed, we ask that you, the resident , provide the information requested on the voucher. Please complete the information requested, sign it, date it and give it to your contractor who will present it at the recycling center as proof that the leaves came from your property. To prevent misuse of the leaf vouchers they will only be valid for seven days from the date signed by the resident.
Contractor’s Voucher requirements and guidelines
• Residential use only – as a guide, only dwellings where Town sponsored refuse collection exist are eligible to use a voucher.
• Commercial, industrial and mixed use properties are not eligible to use vouchers.
• Contractors cannot present vouchers for mixed loads of residential and commercial leaves.
• Contractors cannot present vouchers for residential leaves generated in other towns with those generated in West Hartford.
• Loads generated from more than one property must present a voucher from each property collected to generate that load
• Contractors or Resident’s violating the intended use of these vouchers will have their privileges revoked.